Skip to main content

She Died

I'm at the park with 5 of my 12 grandchildren and their father (step to 3, biological to 2).  While I'm helping the 17 month old climb up the play equipment, I strike up a conversation with a mother.  

"Your children are lovely, but what a handful!" 

"Thanks", I reply, "but I'm Grandma".

"Oh, but you don't look old enough to be a grandmother!"  Are you giving their mum a break?  That's a lovely thing to do."  Is she working or just having a nice rest?"

I pause before replying.  I could just agree with her and change the subject, but my 9 year old granddaughter is standing nearby and I don't want to lie.

"Actually no, she died".

"Oh.....I'm sorry to hear that."  The poor woman is flustered.  I don't blame her.  She was just being friendly.  That was the last thing she expected to hear.

And it's the truth.  Louise died suddenly in August 2021, just nine weeks after giving birth to her 5th child.  There was no warning, although if we'd put together a few random symptoms that she had, we may have suspected that something was brewing that we could get checked out.  As she died suddenly, a post mortem was carried out.  The preliminary cause of death was SCAD - Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection, but we won't know any more until the Coroner's final report which could take a year or more.  

Lou had no underlying medical conditions that she knew of and was enjoying parenting her 5 children, aged 9 weeks, 12 months, 7, 9 and 12 years old.  She had the youngest 2 with her husband of 2 years.  

When people give you an example of their worst nightmare, this scenario isn't usually the first that comes to mind.  Until that day, it wasn't front and centre of my mind either.  She'd had a difficult pregnancy, harder than the other four, with several hospital admissions in the final months, and was diagnosed with pre-eclampsia, which she had never had before.  Her blood pressure was always on the low side so this and her general health during the pregnancy had us constantly on alert.

She contracted an infection in the days after she had the baby and was admitted to hospital for IV antibiotics.  We have no way of knowing if the pregnancy and post-birth complications contributed to her death, but I have alerted the Coroner to this information an asked for this to be included in their investigation.

To say the last 6 months have been hard is the world's biggest understatement.  Her husband and I continue to live in the family home and are helping the children and each to other navigate the world that we now live in.  I worked out that apart from a few months, Lou and I lived together for almost all of her 32 years and I have played an active role in the upbringing of her children.  This has made the mechanics of our situation a little easier, but the huge crushing weight of her not being here to be mother to her children and enjoy being married to the love of her life is always with us.

We have had to deal with so many unfamiliar processes to do with the legal issues that arise with a sudden death and I will endeavour to cover some of them in future posts, although I won't go into too much detail, as most of it is for mine, my son-in-law's and immediate family’s ears only.  Maybe some of my experiences will be familiar to you, or maybe you are on your own tough journey after a sudden loss, so I hope that I can offer a little advice or accept some of yours.

One thing I have learned is gratitude.  I am so grateful that I have so far woken up every morning since Lou died and can love her children in her absence.  Of course I wish it hadn't happened and that she was here with her beautiful children and her husband, who was truly the love of her life.  On days that my world feels like it's crashing all around me, I make sure that I acknowledge everything that I do have.  People's petty issues just pass me by.  I just don't care if you were given the wrong coffee order, or that your cheap outfit didn't last its first wash.  I really don't care.  All I care about now are my family.  To be fair I didn't care much about the petty stuff before but I sure as hell don't care about it now.  Because what my family have suffered can't be fixed with a refund or an apology.  We will never be fixed.  We will learn to live with our worst nightmare but we will never truly get over it.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I used to be the Backup

I used to be the backup but not anymore.  I've lived with my daughter for pretty much all of her life and I know her kid's routines very well.  If she had to go out I stayed home with the kids. When she was having babies I took time off to be at home and look after her and them.  Now that she's gone we have no backup and I'm doing more housework and childcare than I've done in years.  Those who know me well know that I'm SO not a fan of cleaning so that’s been an uphill climb! I used to have the luxury of being able to sew and sleep on the weekends but that's over now too. I don't begrudge any of it though, as it's given me the opportunity to know her husband and children more deeply, and I've developed a pretty good work/home routine that works well for everyone. I'm grateful that I've been able to increase my responsibilities without too much adjustment, although the added work and brain power needed does take away from time when I ju

Things to consider before buying a Chromebook

The decision to purchase new tech that you aren't familiar with can be daunting and confusing. If you are in the market to buy your first Chromebook I have put together some information that should help you make an informed choice. How much do you know about how Chromebooks work? (Hint, they are a bit different to Windows devices)   Chromebooks (CB) are laptop computers that use the Google Chrome Operating System.  It is an OS that allow users to do basic things like surfing the internet, banking, gaming, viewing media and using office applications in a web browser, although you can also install many of the same Android apps similar to those that you might have on your phone.  Being web-based you do need an internet connection, although you can work offline with the right apps. You can save documents to your Chromebook disk drive to edit when offline and download movies to watch at any time.  If you need to use the CB away from your internet connection, you can use your mobile phon